Guidelines for Student Entry
Joseph Pulitzer Intermediate School 145
The Magnet School of Innovation and Applied Learning
33-34 80th Street, Jackson Heights, N.Y. 11372
Mr. Ivan Rodriguez, Principal
ASSISTANT PRINCIPALS: Ms. Sloane Titus Mr. Robert Nikc Mr. Smith Jorge Mr. Jose Mateo
Student Guidance for School Re-entry- Sept. 2020
- Students participating in the Blended Curriculum must be notified of their cohort, group A, B, or C (only) and report to school as per the School Calendar based on their cohort from 8:30 am to 1:59 pm.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to screen students at home PRIOR to students leaving for school for any of the following COVID-19 symptoms:
- a fever of 100.0 degrees F or greater,
- a new cough,
- new loss of taste or smell or
- shortness of breath within the past 10 days
- Masks, Face Coverings: In addition to school uniforms, all students reporting to school for the Blended Platform must wear a face mask (this is mandatory). Students are not allowed to wear bandanas, or other face coverings that are inappropriate. Students will be allowed to remove their face coverings when eating and for breaks, as long as they are socially distanced from one another within the classroom.
- All students reporting to school will be expected to maintain all social distancing protocols of 6ft. from all other students and staff. In addition, students (as well as staff) will be subject to random temperature checks as per the DOE beginning Oct. 1, 2020.
- Students with symptoms of COVID-19 while in school:
- Students showing symptoms of COVID-19 will be escorted to the Isolation Room by a designated staff member wearing appropriate PPE.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 are: ■ Fever of 100.0°F or higher or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea.
- The area where the student was showing symptoms must be immediately cleaned and disinfected.
- The nurse or health professional, wearing appropriate PPE, will evaluate the student in the Isolation Room for symptoms of COVID-19.
- If no nurse or health professional is available, the student will wait in the supervised Isolation Room until picked up.
- A family member or guardian will be contacted by a staff member and asked to pick up the student.
- Upon pick up, the nurse/health professional and school staff will strongly advise the family to visit a doctor and get the student tested for COVID-19, and provide the information of the closest testing site, if asked.
- Student Entry/Dismissal: All students reporting to school for the Blended Platform must enter and exit the school building as per the following locations:
- Enterprise Students (Color is Blue): Enter and exit the building through the school yard on 79th St. This is Door #7
- Discovery Students (Color is Orange): Enter and exit the building through the parking lot on 79th St. This is Door #5
- Global Students (Color is Green): Enter and exit the building on 34th Ave. (between 79th and 80th streets). This is Door #3
- Explorer Students (Color is Red): Enter and exit the building through the cafeteria entrance on 80th St. This is Door # 10
- Students in School: Upon entry to the building, students will be directed to their assigned classrooms (six feet from one another) where breakfast will be delivered for those students who would like to eat. Students will remain in their designated classrooms until 1:59 pm at which time they will be escorted to their designated exits as per their Academy. Students are encouraged to use the hand sanitizer upon entry into the classroom.
- Student Bathrooms will be available on all floors; basement, first floor new/old wing, second floor new/old wing, and third floor new/old wing. Bathroom use must not exceed established cap (based on physical distancing guidelines) at any given time. School personnel will be posted outside of student bathrooms where possible to ensure no more than two students use the bathroom at any given time.
- Breakfast and Lunch: All students reporting to school will receive breakfast period one during instruction and lunch during their designated lunch period in the classroom. In addition, students will receive a grab and go meal upon dismissal from school.
- Student Discipline/Behavior: Inappropriate student behavior will not be tolerated during Blended or Remote Learning. Students will be expected to follow the DOE Code of Conduct as well as classroom rituals and routines as per the teacher at all times.