What is a 21st Century Learner?
A 21st Century Learner describes the qualities I.S. 145 students will need to effectively function in a modern world. These attributes will continue to be incorporated by our staff as we look to improve instruction and offer a more relevant and rigorous educational program.
Our students will become Effective Communicators as evidenced by:
- Exhibiting appropriate interpersonal skills for effective dialogue.
- Mastering skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English and other languages.
- Collaborating strategically in a technology-rich environment.
Our students will become Global Learners as evidenced by:
- Understanding and respecting individual and cultural differences.
- Seeking out new cultural experiences that broaden perspectives.
- Drawing upon the strengths of other cultures.
- Collaborating in languages other than English.
- Working with others to understand current events and pose solutions for global issues.
- Exhibiting positive interpersonal relationships that value multiple languages, cultures, and all persons.
Our students will become Critical Thinkers as evidenced by:
- Soliciting and considering different points of view prior to decision making.
- Evaluating resources in all forms for validity and accuracy.
- Applying information and appropriate skills to new contexts/situations.
- Articulating solutions to real-world problems that demonstrate a sound rationale.
Our students will become Socially Responsible Citizens as evidenced by:
- Participating in school and community initiatives.
- Exhibiting responsibility for personal well-being and compassion for the well-being of others.
- Following the civic principles, ethics, and virtues necessary for sustaining the common good in a democracy.
- Understanding the importance of sustaining a healthy planet.
- Pursuing a range of interests that exhibit a balance of physical, social, and intellectual activity.
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic.